Great Western Suburban League

The Great Western Suburban League was founded in 1904 as a competition for clubs from Middlesex, Berkshire and the surrounding area. Members in the pre-War period included Brentford Reserves, Maidenhead, Maidenhead Norfolkians, Marlow, Slough, Windsor & Eton and Wycombe Wanderers. Reading Reserves were members from 1907 to 1911, finishing runners-up in 1908-09 and champions in 1909-10. After the War the competition was dominated by Botwell Mission (now Hayes) before they moved on to the Athenian League. There was a mass exodus of clubs in 1927 and the League folded one year later. The complete list of champions is as follows:

    1904-05    2nd Grenadier Guards         1914-19    no competition
    1905-06    Hounslow                     1919-20    Maidenhead Utd
    1906-07    Shepherds Bush               1920-21    Botwell Mission
    1907-08    Brentford Res                1921-22    Botwell Mission
    1908-09    Brentford Res                1922-23    Botwell Mission
    1909-10    READING RES                  1923-24    Botwell Mission
    1910-11    Brentford Res                1924-25    Hounslow
    1911-12    2nd Grenadier Guards         1925-26    Newbury Town
    1912-13    Southall                     1926-27    Leyland Motors
    1913-14    19th Hussars                 1927-28    Napiers

Back to Reading Reserves